Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The good, the slightly painful and the tasty

I was at the mall by 10 am this morning to return a shirt we had picked up for Paul on our shopping expedition Friday. He did keep the winter boots that had been our main shopping mission. He's needed a new pair for years. I like to think I convinced him that you get the best pick early in the season but I expect it was the sale plus the extra bonus off coupon he had that made the real difference in him pulling out his credit card.

While there I was also looking for new anything-but-blue-jeans for Stephen but finding his size easily with impossible so I gave up and shopped for myself instead.

New pants - on sale less 30%
Two blouses - on sale less 30% My kind of shopping.

After lunch it was pinch and squeeze time. Had my mammogram.

For dinner I tried another new recipe:


SWEET AND SOUR SAUSAGE AND CABBAGE
4 or 5 Italian sausages
1/4 cup water
1/2 green cabbage
1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons white sugar
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 green onions - sliced

Put a small amount of oil is pot
Slice each sausage into 4 pieces
Cook til brown, stirring occasionally (5-7 minutes)
Add water and cover pot, continue cooking til sausages are done

Shred cabbage thinly -- about 7 cups
Add to sausage mix with remain ingredients. ( I put in half the cabbage, added cumin, sugar, vinegar, salt and chili stirred, added the rest and stirred again )
Add 1/2 green onions
Cover and simmer til cabbage is tender

Sprinkle some of remaining onion of each serving.

I copied this down from a magazine some time ago and made it for the first time tonight. I will make it again. I had noted down that it was good served with mashed potatoes, I served whole wheat rice.

No comments: