Saturday, November 20, 2010

I made soup, imagine that.

My friend Margaret makes soup. She talks about her soups. I decided I should make soup. This recipe sounded easy enough for me.

OINKERS AWAY - makes 6 servings

6 slices turkey bacon, chopped
1 cup each chopped onions, celery and carrots
2 tsp minced garlic
4 cups chicken broth, divided
1 tsp dried thyme
3/4 tsp dried marjoram
3 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 can (19oz/540 ml) navy beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup chopped FRESH parsley - dried is fine too
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp each salt and freshly ground black pepper

Cook bacon in a large, non-stick soup pot (mine is not non-stick) over medium heat for about 4 minutes, stirring often. Be careful not to burn it. Stir in onions, celery, carrots, garlic, and 1/2 cup chicken broth. Cook and stir for 5 more minutes, until vegetables begin to soften.

Add thyme and marjoram and cook 1 more minute. Stir in flour and mix well. Add remaining chicken broth and bring mixture to a boil. It will thicken slightly.

Stir in beans, parsley, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes.

Remove bay leaves. Transfer half the soup to a blender and puree soup until smooth. Return pureed soup to pot with remaining soup and mix well. Serve hot.

...........
Instead of canned navy beans I bought dried and soaked them. I learned that they almost double in size so I have left-overs that I have frozen to use in a baked bean recipe I want to try.

The original recipe called for turkey bacon to keep the fat level down. I used maple bacon and drained off the excess fat.

We all loved the soup. I served it as our main meal with slices of a hot rosemary baguette.
Next time I will add more carrots, all other amounts will stay the same.



I don't usually use parsley so when presented with the choice of fresh regular or Italian I picked Italian.

I dried the unused parsley in the microwave on parchment paper. I minute, 1 minute, 1 minute.

I removed any heavy stems, put the dried parsley into a ziplock bag, crushed it, cut off one bottom corner of the bag allowing it to easily pour in a jar for storing.






Today was drizzle more Brandy day for the Christmas cakes.
I managed to get it done and away without cutting myself a slice. Just unwrapping them filled my kitchen with smells of Christmas.

I must be planning on making them again next year. I bought my own large loaf pans.

3 comments:

Jayne said...

Phoar, that soup sounds delish :)
I like that method for drying excess herbs, will keep that in mind to dry ours out in the oven.
Hubby has the fruit and nuts soaking on about 2 bottles of scotch whisky atm, anyone eating that cake will be over the limit lol.

Rootietoot said...

The soup sounds yummy! I love to cook with beans. I've heard rumors that it you add a bit of cream of tartar to it when it's cooking they won't give you gas, but I've never tried it. I just make it on Friday so we're only affected on Saturday. The cake looks AMAZING.

Kathleen said...

We love soup. Could eat it for supper every night...which would thrill my doctor. Your cakes look beautiful! I've yet to start mine. I know......