Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Muttering to myself

I was just asking me yesterday why I had a can of romano beans in the cupboard but before I could answer myself....

I remembered I had cut a recipe from somewhere and after leaving it under a magnet on the fridge for weeks I'd put it away. Did I remember what the recipe was? No I did not.

I pulled out my folder and started going through recipes clipped from papers, magazines, downloaded and printed and freebie cards from the grocery store. Looking at all the things I thought I might make but now on further discussion with myself decided I wouldn't, I did some clearing out.
In the weeding out process I found what I was looking for. Vegetable-fusilli bake with Ricotta topping. When this bit of bad weather lets up I'll make a list and head out to buy the rest of the ingredients and give it a try.
Link to recipe

8 comments:

Leenie said...

Glad you found it. A good end to the story. So often mine ends with stuff everywhere and new things discovered. But, alas, the "whatever thing" has disappeared. DH says I can hide my own Easter eggs. Fusilli sounds yummy. We are having lasagne tonite.

Anonymous said...

LOL, I do stuff like that. I had a jar of glucose in my cupboard for years. I think I finally worked out I'd bought it for some chocolate slice recipe, and I decided that the recipe was too long and involved. Think I threw it out in the end.

Jayne said...

My hubby has started collecting recipes.
I merely hide...;)

ELIZABETH said...

My hubby tries to collect recipes but until he takes up cooking he's not allowed.

Kathleen said...

So many recipes....so little time. What are romano beans??? I don't know of such a thing in this country. (By another name perhaps?)

ELIZABETH said...

A bean, sometimes referred to as an Italian flat bean, that can eaten as a snap bean when it is very young or as a dried bean during later stages of maturity. When eaten as a snap bean it may be grown as a green, purple or yellow colored bean and is similar to a common green snap bean, except that it has a broader and flatter pod rather than a cylindrical pod. Green beans can be used as a good substitute for Romano beans in most recipes. They can be eaten raw, eaten as a side dish, or added as an ingredient to other dishes, providing a sweet buttery flavour. Do not overcook this bean, as this may cause it to become soft and mushy. As a dried bean the Romano bean becomes a good ingredient for a variety of bean dishes, soups, chili, and salads.

No idea how correct the above is but it's the best I could find on google. The photo on the front of the can shows a whitish with brown flecks sort of kidney shaped bean.

jeanie said...

So - how was it?

I have a ring binder I try to put all mine in - they still need an occasional cull but at least they have a chance of being found again and maybe even cooked!

ELIZABETH said...

Jeanie...it will have to wait til I have a crowd. Serving 6-8 is just a bit much is an mostly two person household. 3 when son decides he needs to eat at home.