Thursday, October 1, 2009

Season change

Buds on my Monkshood. It's the last flower to bloom in my garden and I always hope that frost won't arrive before it has had a chance to shine.


Even dead can be pretty.


Seed pods on my Blackberry lily. I always watch for them come fall.


You know autumn is here: when the air conditioner gets turned off, cleaned and covered, when the furnace is turned on and the thermostat timer is set to warm the house on chilly mornings, when I pull the flannel sheets from the cupboard and get them freshened for putting on the beds, when I cut down the tomato plants and start removing all the dead flowers from the garden.

It was a wet and cool summer giving me a poor tomato crop and blighting my attempt to grow peppers but the flower gardens flourished, my herbs thrived, the grass was green and I didn't have to water often.

6 comments:

Leenie said...

Hey. Don't overdo it. Make sure Your Man does the big stuff. We are going through the same routine here. Same. There as a killing frost last night, but we had what was left of the tomatoes gathered. All the work I went to with the wall-o-waters and the staking of plants paid off in ripe ones by August, although fewer.

Rootietoot said...

monkshood- so pretty. We know it's Fall here when the goldenrod is blooming- great swaths of fluffy gold along the roads. I love it!

ELIZABETH said...

I am leaving all the pulling and digging to him this year.
Seeing how well he has taken to kitchen instruction I expect the gardening with be easy.

Rt...I'll try and get a photo of it open, if the rain stops.

Jayne said...

Hope we get your cool and wet Summer here in Victoria; after last Summer's nasty heatwave and deadly bushfires we could do with a breather.
Love the monkshood, very pretty :)

Kathleen said...

Your photographs are beautiful. After reading thepioneerwoman.com, I'm looking for "bokeh" in all the photos I see....yours has some nice bokeh going on! And in case you have no idea what that word means, as I didn't, it's a word used to describe the "accidental" beautiful backgrounds that "happen" on digital photographs. I guess PW asks readers to send them to her and she posts them. Yours would be good candidates for her Fall Bokeh series!

joana lui said...

It is great to observe somebody put enough craze towards a matter. I'm thankful that I stumbled upon this process. I am lucky I used the time to read on past the 1st paragraph. You have got a whole lot to say, very much to offer. I really hope guys understand this and look into your page.


safety deposit box
bank safety deposit boxes
mailbox post
residential mailboxes
gold bar for sale