Sunday, September 30, 2007

Finishing

It's official. I'm not painting houses for a living when I grow up.

The basement windows are done! completed! I may be slow but I eventually do get things finished. They look great.

With perfect weather and all the supplies on hand it was almost easy. The painting part wasn't fun, having to twist and bend at ground level.....guess I should have had the gym instructor throw in contortion exercises...but it went quite quickly with all the prep work already done.

Now I can start the fall garden work.

.......................


This is a series that should be read in order if you want to get the most out of each story and to truly appreciate the main characters. The setting and time make these highly interesting. This is one of my library finds.

Anarchy and Old Dogs: Colin Cotterill

Publishers Weekly:

Set in 1970s Communist Laos, Cotterill's delightful fourth novel to feature Dr. Siri Paiboun, the Laotian national coroner and one of the more eccentric characters in crime fiction, and Paiboun's clever assistant, Nurse Dtui (after 2006's Disco for the Departed), nicely blends the supernatural, humor and intrigue. This time, their trials and tribulations begin with the death of Dr. Buagaew, a blind dentist hit by a truck. When blank papers are found on the dentist's body, Paiboun quickly discovers encoded writing in invisible ink. Aided by his friends, police officer Phosy and politburo member Civilai, Paiboun follows up on a number of clues and discovers that the code describes a series of chess moves. A trip to the southern Laotian city of Pakse draws him deeper into a complex political intrigue. Adding local color is Auntie Bpoo, a fortune-teller transvestite who predicts Paiboun will soon betray his country. This sometimes slapstick, sometimes serious, but always lively mystery is sure to bring the author many new readers.

book order: The Coroner's Lunch, Thirty-three Teeth, Disco for the Departed, Anarchy and Old Dogs.

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

Kudos on finishing that job! I admire anyone who starts and FINISHES a project...no matter how long it takes. I guess I married badly...we are both tops at starting something and not finishing! I hope to be more organized this winter and get some inside projects DONE. Wish me well.