Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Le Gratin Provencal de Legumes D'ete

When we were in France last year ( yes I'm boasting ) I picked up some recipe postcards.
Finally we ate the results of the first one.

The hardest part was the research on how to buy an eggplant. Some days it's not really a good idea to go to Google. Too much information!

I did ask the checkout girl at the grocery store if mine looked like a good one and she was stumped, probably never having been asked that question before.

This recipe is a keeper.



Slice......
3 onions
8 tomatoes
2 aubergines (eggplant)
4 courgettes (zucchini)

Alternate layers of vegetables in deep, ovenproof dish well greased with olive oil.
Season each layer with salt, pepper, thyme, crushed garlic and Gruyere and a thin stream of olive oil.
Bake at 180 C ( 350-375 F ) about 1 hour
Serve hot or warm

I halved the recipe and it make plenty. I have left overs. ( family of 3 )
I mixed Gruyere and Swiss cheese.
I threw on some whole pitted olives just because they showed them on the card.

5 comments:

strauss said...

Mmmmm! That sounds funny indeed. Yes, I know what you mean about eggplant. I am not expereinced and wouldn't know a good one from a bad one, so have avoided buying them thus far. Perhaps I will give them a go, now that I have a recipe recommendation though.

strauss said...

funny? I meant YUMMY! boy oh boy.

ELIZABETH said...

One site said that eggplants have now had the bitterness bred out of them so you no longer have to do the salting or worry about the sex.
Another said that you should cut them just before you use them so they don't discolour and don't soak them in anything before cooking as they suck up liquids.

Lib1 said...

They logged me in, but say that they could not process my request.. ie my comment.
I used to make rattatoui, I think that it's very similar or a different name for the same thing. Thanks for the tip about the eggplant, I still salt them before using. Silly me! I hate to do anything unnecessary, and extra salt is a big no no when you are trying (not very successfully) to eat healthily.
Fingers crossed for the second time round... nothing more annoying than writing out something again.

Lib1 said...

Echos of YUM... that was in my original post.