Thursday, February 8, 2007

Traditions

Every year since 1989 this sign has been hung from the light over the kitchen table at breakfast time and then moved to the one in the dining room to help us celebrate birthdays.

I had forgotten to tie it up last night before heading off to bed, but it slipped back into memory as I brushed my teeth and I mentioned to Paul that it was probably time to retire it as it is starting to show some wear and tear.

Apparently not. It has become so much a part of birthdays in our home that he suggested I make sure I was up first so it would be there when he came down to breakfast. Mmmmmmm , guess I'm not the sentimental one here.

I got up this morning knowing it had to be up and it was already there. Stephen had arrived home at 2 am and noticing its absence, found it and tied it up before crawling into bed.

I'm not likely going to be allowed to break this tradition.

Interesting how some thing that I bought on a whim, to entertain a 7 year old boy on his birthday, has become part of the fabric of our family celebrations. Just like the glass elephant candle holder that has graced birthday cakes since ????.

Think I'll pull the photo albums back out and track that date down as well.

So Happy Birthday Paul, Stephen and I will be taking you out to dinner tonight http://www.1010bistro.ca/

2 comments:

Lib1 said...

Happy Birthday, Paul! Hope you had a great night out.
You're never too old to dispense with traditions.

ELIZABETH said...

Dinner was lovely. We only had the main course there ( and the bill was $112.10! ) seeing as I had baked a cake and can now make decent, non instant, coffee.