Monday, October 25, 2010

In the kitchen



Canada's Best Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Icing This recipe makes 18 serving(s)

Ingredients

    2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
    2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
    2 tsp (10 mL) cinnamon
    1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
    3/4 tsp (4 mL) salt
    1/2 tsp (2 mL) nutmeg
    3/4 cup (175 mL) granulated sugar
    3/4 cup (175 mL) packed brown sugar
    3 eggs
    3/4 cup (175 mL) vegetable oil
    1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
    2 cups (500 mL) grated carrots
    1 cup (250 mL) drained crushed canned pineapple
    1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped pecans
    Icing:
    1 pkg cream cheese, softened
    1/4 cup (50 mL) butter, softened
    1/2 tsp (2 mL) vanilla
    1 cup (250 mL) icing sugar

Preparation:

Grease and flour 13- x 9-inch (3.5 L) metal cake pan; set aside.

In large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and nutmeg. In separate bowl, beat together granulated and brown sugars, eggs, oil and vanilla until smooth; pour over flour mixture and stir just until moistened. Stir in carrots, pineapple and pecans. Spread in prepared pan.

Bake in centre of 350°F (180°C) oven for 40 minutes or until cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean. Let cool in pan on rack. (Make-ahead: Cover with plastic wrap and store at room temperature for up to 2 days. Or ovenwrap with heavy duty foil and freeze for up to 2 weeks; let thaw before continuing.)

Icing: In bowl, beat cream cheese with butter until smooth. Beat in vanilla. Beat in icing sugar, one-third at a time, until smooth. Spread over top of cake. (Make-ahead: Cover loosely and refrigerate for up to I day.)

Additional Information:

Tips: Set timer for 5 minutes less than the time specified in recipe, check cake then for the following signs. If the cake is not done, return it to the oven to finish baking.

When is the cake done:
A fully baked cake will spring back when touched in the center. The cake also draws away from the side of the pan, and a cake tester (a toothpick of skewer works well) inserted in the center comes out clean. Also trust your sense of smell: the fresh aroma of butter and sugar wafting out of the oven can be the signal to check the cake.

When cakes emerge from the oven, their structure is set, but the set is still fragile. Let cakes stand in pans on rack for time specified in each recipe, usually 15 to 20 minutes. Run knife around edge of cake, then place rack over pan and invert cake onto rack to cool completely.

.......................

My friend Margaret sent me a link to the above recipe. I sent back a reply stating I appreciated her thoughtfulness but I wouldn't be keeping it. My baking skills can manage cookies.........



even when I manage to break the tick tock of my timer.and I use a mix.

But my chili doesn't come out of a can
unless you count the ones I use while making it.


....If anyone makes the carrot cake let me know how it tastes....

4 comments:

Rootietoot said...

Well that's a heck of a recipe post! How about the chili recipe instead? My chili has a buncha cans of stuff too, but I call it homemade because the spices come from a box. (I like Wick Fowler's 2 Alarm Chili Kit)

Kathleen said...

The cake recipe sounds a lot like one I make all the time...but mine has coconut too. It's very moist and delicious. I'm sure you could manage,it E...give it a try! And yes, share the chili recipe.

ELIZABETH said...

I brown some onions, brown some ground beef, add the can of tomatoes, two cans of red kidney beans, as much chili powder as I feel like, maybe some cayenne pepper and a touch of salt.
I like to throw grated cheese on top once served.

Paul adds tabasco sauce and Stephen adds Franks Hot sauce at the table.

I like things mild.

ELIZABETH said...

Should mention that I drain the beans.