Friday, August 6, 2010

Day 7 & 8 - July 19 - 20

Day 7

A 9 am departure saw us continuing south on route 430, the only road. We stop to see a fish gate/counting area, the only stop I didn't write down and I can't remember the name. A walk along and down a wooded path, after making sure we were well soaked in bug spray, brought us

to a wide sandy beach. We went searching for sea shells on the sea shore - still the Gulf of St. Lawrence.

Next stop was just down the road at Lobster Cove Head lighthouse, where the light has marked the marine approach to Rocky Harbour and the entrance of Bonne Bay since 1897. We are still within Gros Morne Park.

In the lighthouse keeper's house there is a small but well presented museum where I got to see and smell salt cod, the resource that brought so many to Newfoundland.
history of Newfoundland Cod Fishery

We had lots time to wander around and explore the rocks and cliffs before returning to the bus.

A surprise stop for a picnic lunch at Mill Brook park had us wandering the shore again. Margaret must have been up half the night making sandwiches and organizing the cookies and fruit that filled the coolers Barry pulled from the luggage compartment of the bus. Beer and wine was a nice treat.

Took lots of photos of the shells and seaweed.

Next leg took us to the junction of the Trans Canada Highway and during a rest stop outside Deer Lake, and before heading east, I introduced little fang to a moose.

Next stop Grand Falls-Windsor. Here we visited the Salmonid Interpretation Centre on the Exploits River. We got to watch the salmon heading upstream jumping up the man made water ladder and inside after a film and a guided tour I learned more than I will ever need to know about the fish and spawning. I know I like to eat salmon.

View from the window inside the centre.

Our hotel for the night was on the highway in Grand Falls where once again we were treated to cookies and punch in the lobby.


Day 8
Next morning we headed north on route 340 Road To The Isles.
First stop was in Boyd's Cove to visit the Beothuk Interpretation Centre. The tribe is now extinct and there is an interesting story of the last survivors. link here
Once again a sudden rain so we passed on the trek through the woods to see the mounds and a statue and spent our time in the museum/centre.
You have to be Canadian and possible from Ontario to truly understand how happy some of the people on our tour were when they discovered a table covered with Tim Horton coffee and donuts. Withdrawal had started to set in on those who visit the coffee shop on a daily basis. The outlets are far and few between here.

As you travel north causeways connect the islands at the northern end of the highway. We were lucky enough to spot some pitcher plants, the provincial flower, growing in a bog and I managed to get a few shots from the side of the road.

Twillingate : is found at the mouth of the Exploits River where it flows into Notre Dame Bay. The islands provide an excellent sheltered harbour and easy access to the rich fishing grounds nearby. In recent years, a causeway was built, which connects it to the mainland via New World Island. The town is one of the oldest ports on the island. It was a historic fishing community, but because of the decline of the fishing industry, it now relies more on the tourism industry. If you go at the right time of year this is said to be the place for iceberg sightings.

The bus dropped us at the edge of town and we took a nice slow walk in before having lunch.

After lunch Paul and I went walking the hilly area around and behind the town. The area of white in the photo ( do click and enlarge ) is a cemetery. St. Peter's is the oldest wooden church in the province and I managed a peeked inside and we visited the museum that houses an excellent book store specializing in everything Newfoundland.

We continued driving til we reached the end of the road at the Long Point Lighthouse where there is a viewing platform and walking trails. Some of us went hiking with Margaret while others stayed and viewed the lighthouse.

That's us!

We retraced the route til branching on to route 330 and headed to Gander, just under 2 hours away, for our nights sleep.

No comments: