Monday, August 20, 2007

More food and a bit of a news catch up


Herb Grilled Tomato

2 tbsp (30mL) balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp (30mL) olive oil
1 garlic clove minced
2 tbsp (30mL) chopped fresh rosemary
3 medium beefsteak tomatoes, cored and halved crosswise
sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
-Whisk vinegar, oil, garlic and rosemary together in a small bowl
-Place tomatoes, cut side up, in a small shallow dish, drizzle with vinaigrette, and roll tomatoes to coat
-Turn tomatoes to cut side down and let marinate at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes
-Just before grilling season with salt and pepper
-Place tomatoes cut side down on the grill for 3 or 4 minutes, until they begin to darken and plump up
-Remove from grill and return to the dish they marinated in.
-Spoon marinade over the tomatoes and serve warm.

What I did:
I used 6 regular tomatoes
I keep a jar of garlic puree in the fridge and used it
Rather than putting them directly on the grill I did them in an aluminum pan and cooked them longer using med heat.....appox 9 minutes
I did not add on more of the marinade as I wanted the tomato taste to shine

We served them with BBQ pork loin strips and broccoli. I made a foil package, leaving a small steam hole, added some oil and water along with a sprinkle of chili peppers to the broccoli and cooked it on the BBQ as well The broccoli didn't seem to hold the heat once served but it was tasty.
..........

For someone who announced I was on vacation I don't seem to be taking advantage of it. Paul did surprise me when he announced he was off to do the grocery shopping on Saturday, but once I'd started helping him make a list, give suggestions and worry that no one shops as well as me, I went along. I think I have control issues.

On the bathroom front......we have an approximate estimate and on Wednesday we will be having a meeting to make a few more decisions on materials and the amount of plumbing Paul wants done. The big question seems to be: will we move the toilet 3".

I had my physical this morning and the doctor is pleased with my health ( as am I ) and on her official scales I'm down 8 lbs. So exercise works and cutting down portion size has it's benefits.

Paul is at the gym with Stephen as I type. He is taking advantage of a free trial. Perhaps he'll join. He needs something to get him out of the house.

2 comments:

Tracey said...

Yum, those tomatoes look good!

Vacation? Did I miss something somewhere?!!

Go you on the weight loss. That's excellent! (I'm impressed. And envious - as I'm going nowhere with my weight.)

ELIZABETH said...

No Tracey. I just announced I wasn't doing anything around the house because I was on holiday.

I've reduced my portion size and watch my snacks. I think it's made the biggest difference.