Wednesday, August 1, 2007

and on this first day of August

Well we've just had the professionals in to check out finishing the bathroom job.

They can make any vanity we want. They can get us a better counter top with an under mount sink for just a fraction more than the ordinary one we had sourced.

They can do any plumbing changes we were avoiding.

They can put down the flooring I've already purchased.

They can make baseboards to match the rest of the house.

They can finish the painting. I had thought I'd see it through myself but what I saw as a big job they consider small, so I will let the experts do it.

Now we just have to wait for a price quote. I don't think it will matter to me. Having it all taken off my hands has to be worth it.

..................

Finished another one. I'm on a roll.


Sarah's Key by Tatiana De Rosnay

It was a fast read. Not overly long and the story moved along well. I didn't find it quite as inspiring or as touching as the writeup sounded but it was a decent enough story with it's historical background and I did shed one tear. It's not a book I would buy and keep, but as a freebie from the library it was a good way to spend a hot day inside on the couch with the air conditioning running.

From the Publisher

Paris, July 1942: Sarah, a ten year-old girl, is brutally arrested with her family by the French police in the Vel’ d’Hiv’ roundup, but not before she locks her younger brother in a cupboard in the family's apartment, thinking that she will be back within a few hours.Paris, May 2002: On Vel’ d’Hiv’s 60th anniversary, journalist Julia Jarmond is asked to write an article about this black day in France's past. Through her contemporary investigation, she stumbles onto a trail of long-hidden family secrets that connect her to Sarah. Julia finds herself compelled to retrace the girl's ordeal, from that terrible term in the Vel d'Hiv', to the camps, and beyond. As she probes into Sarah's past, she begins to question her own place in France, and to reevaluate her marriage and her life. Tatiana de Rosnay offers us a brilliantly subtle, compelling portrait of France under occupation and reveals the taboos and silence that surround this painful episode.

3 comments:

Kathleen said...

Congrats on getting the bathroom job handed over! Some things are just worth it.
I think I'll look for the book...thanks for the review.

ELIZABETH said...

Hi kathleen. The feeling of freedom is incredible. I will still do the basement windows but what a joy knowing that the bathroom is no longer a point of contention.

Yansor said...

Thanks for the tear !
:))
Tatiana de R.