Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Darning----A lesson

Not likely great art but probably understandable. One: Stitch around the hole. This keeps it from expanding.

Two: Work back and forth across the hole making sure you snare all the edges.
Three: Weave over and under, filling in. It doesn't have to be perfect or pretty.

I work on the outside so the inside will be smoother on tender toes and/or heels

Darning works best with an "egg". I'm sure all you creative minds can find an alternative if one is not available.

3 comments:

Tracey said...

OK, that's interesting. Never had a clue about the stitching around bit. Wonder if you can still buy the eggs. Wonder if I have anything that needs darning. Wonder if, when it came down to it, I could be bothered!

Lib1 said...

I inherited my egg from my mother but I have seen them for sale in big haberdasheries (do we use that term any more), also as a novelty item I saw them at Sovereign Hill (old gold mining settlement display village) near Ballarat a couple of years ago.
It shouldn't be a lost art, we live in such a throw away age that nobody bothers to darn any more. My grandmothers used to darn everything, it was a sign of a good frugal housewife: sheets, shirts and socks were all daintily stitched back together. Not for us modern mums though. (Says she from the perspective of 60+++ years).

Lib1 said...

By the way, excellent lesson on darning, E. Loved the diagram!